I-LABS Module 17 – Development of Literacy (eLearning)
All children deserve the best start in life and new scientific discoveries deepen our understanding of how to create the best environments for children. The team at I-LABS creates new and effective ways to bridge the gap between the science and the practice of learning by disseminating the latest science of child development. Our team shares the latest scientific discoveries in relevant and actionable ways with those who can best put it into practice: early learning professionals, parents, and policymakers. Partners use cutting-edge research to create evidence-based policies, practices, and programs that grow the next generation of lifelong learners.
This 25-minute Online module covers the following points:
- Literacy is an important part of daily life. It helps empower a child’s educational, societal, and civic development.
- The best curricula for teaching children how to read include explicit instruction in phonological awareness. Explicit classroom instruction is a key part that builds on a strong foundation of phonological awareness.
- Some children have difficulty learning to read. Research tells us that it is important to identify struggling readers early on, and to provide them with extra support before they fall behind their peers.
- Early intervention helps struggling children build foundational skills and improve their reading ability. Effective programs encompass the school, home, and community.
No Social Work CEUs, STARS credits, or other professional continuing education credits are currently available for this course.
- 0.42 ParticipationParticipants should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.